Smithfield's Backpack Program
Posted on September 1, 2019 8:24 AM by Alessandra Macaluso, CW Webmaster
CW residents Stephanie Robnett and Amanda Gertig are heading up Smithfield’s “Backpack Program” this year, packing food for the weekend for children who are in need. We saw how big CW showed up for last year’s food drive for Second Harvest Food Bank, organized by the Women’s Group, and we’re hoping we can do it again to help fill these backpacks!
WHAT WE NEED: This is not a typical food drive. We need very specific items as some of these children’s families do not have access to full stoves and ovens, and we need it easy and ready-made to eat.
Items needed are:
- Canned chicken
- Canned tuna
- Vienna Sausage
- Beef Stew
- Mini Ravioli, Spaghetti Meatballs, Spaghetti-Os
- Hearty Soups, Noodle Soups, Soup
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Beans (all kinds)
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Veggies (carrots, corn, green beans, mixed veggies,
- potatoes, peas, etc.) — we need LOTS of veggies!
- Pasta (anything boxed, noodles)
- Rice (ready bags)
- Mashed potatoes (packets)
- Scalloped potatoes (boxed)
- Macaroni and Cheese (boxed or individual)
- Flour Tortillas
- Ramen Noodle packs
- Microwave Popcorn
- Oatmeal (individual packets) — we need LOTS of oatmeal packets!
- Cracker packs (peanut butter crackers, cheese crackers, etc.)
- Granola bars
- Fruit and grain bars
- Applesauce cups — we need a LOT of fruit/applesauce cups!
- Fruit cups
- Individually wrapped popcorn bags — we go through a LOT of these
- Snacks (individual packs)
You can drop off food items by Stephanie’s house (3134 Old Chapel Lane) or Amanda’s house (10210 Summerhouse Court) anytime through the end of September.
If you have questions, feel free to text Stephanie at 864.354.0343. We are so thankful for this community and the way we support one another!